Update: January 5 at 7:24 PM
Miami Shores PD have announced that inbound phone lines to their station have been repaired after a nearly hour and a half outage.
The announcement was made on social media.
In a thread on the Nextdoor App, Shores resident Michael Morejon asked village spokesperson Elizabeth Keeley how it was possible for a police station to lose phone service.
“This was an AT&T issue and the cause is still being addressed,” Keeley said.
Original Story from earlier in the day:
A Miami Shores spokesperson said that the inbound phone lines are down for the Miami Shores Police Department.
The reason for the problem was not announced nor was the expected time for the lines to be repaired.
It is not clear whether the lines being out were related to overnight power outages reported around Miami Shores.
The announcement was made via the Nextdoor app by Miami Shores Communications Specialist Elizabeth Keeley.
“Police Department phone lines are currently down,” the advisory read. “Please be advised that the inbound phone lines to the Miami Shores Police Department are currently down. Please contact Miami-Dade Police at 305-476-5423 or 911 who will forward the requests for assistance until our phone lines are restored.”
This is a developing story. We will update it as we gather more information.
RISE NEWS is South Florida’s digital news magazine. Follow us on Facebook to make sure you never miss a story!
Have a news tip about this topic or something completely different? Send it on in to email@example.com.
Cover Photo Credit: marysalome
What Do You Think?
About the AuthorRich Robinson is the CEO and publisher of Rise News. He is also a journalist and a native of Miami. Robinson graduated from the University of Alabama and can be followed on Twitter @RichRobMiami.
You Might also like
The most attended yet secretive pop-up party during Wynwood’s Art Walk, Secret Garden, celebrates its three-year anniversary, welcoming all experience seekers to an “Enchanted” journey.
On February 13th, starting at 7pm until 3am, Secret Garden’s creators bring the Enchanted edition to one of Wynwood’s most exclusive venues, MANA. This Kylie Jenner-approved venue spans over six acres with 32-foot ceilings and is known for bringing Miami’s culture to life by hosting high-quality productions.
Enchanted brings you an innovative kind of art walk, different from any before. As soon as you step into MANA, you will be transported into the magical world of Alice in Wonderland, feeling the eerie moss underneath your feet as the enchanting forest swarms over you. Siglo will be presenting Down the Rabbit Hole with a full on maze incorporated into the art gallery, as well as a special installation presented by Poetry of I.
After finding your way out of the Rabbit Hole, guests are invited to the Mad Hatter Tea Party taking place on the main stage with a special performance by PILLOWTALK, Superlounge and many more.
“The amount of creativity at Secret Garden feeds off one another, giving a truly amazing experience,” Secret Garden co-founder Matthew Ohashi said. “We bring together the best talent Miami has to offer, and since our inception three years ago, we have stayed true to our motto of supporting the local artist.”
This art walk experience is designed to have guests trembling on their feet at the intricate details of this garden.
Enchanted invites art walk enthusiasts to escape the hectic city life for a night to explore one-of-a-kind art installations in the mysterious Secret Garden, while indulging in Miami’s finest artists, musicians, performers, and craft food & beer vendors.
RISE NEWS is a grassroots journalism news organization that is working to change the way young people become informed and engaged in public affairs. Anyone can write for us as long as you are fiercely interested in making the world a better place.
Cover Photo Credit: Secret Garden/ FacebookPost Views: 13
What Do You Think?
The Department of Justice is investigating the North Miami Police Department for possible violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act stemming from the shooting of Charles Kinsey in July.
The DOJ notified the North Miami PD on Monday of their decision to investigate the police force and asked for a series of documents to be handed over to them within three weeks.
According to the Miami Herald, the DOJ has requested the following from North Miami:
“-The names of each police officer that responded to the incident
-Any documents showing disciplinary actions against police staff
-All investigative records in the case
-All excessive force complaints filed against the city’s police officers that were filed in the last five years
-Several other documents showing the department’s policies on force, crisis de-escalation and dealing with people with disabilities”
In an email sent to constituents, North Miami Councilman Scott Galvin said that the city would be pushing to have all officers wear body cameras by March of 2017 and that the police has purchased 18 “bean bag rifles”, which can be used in situations where “less-lethal” force is needed.
North Miami will issue an RFP for body cameras next month. It is expected the City Council will choose a vendor in January 2017 and the cameras will be in place by March 2017.
The investigation started in the aftermath of the shooting of unarmed therapist Charles Kinsey by a North Miami police officer.
Kinsey was shot three times in the leg, but the Miami-Dade Police Union President said that Kinsey’s autistic patient was the intended target of the bullets.
The officer who shot Kinsey, Jonathan Aledda was apparently aiming at Kinsey’s autistic patient according to the Miami-Dade police union president.
The shooting made national headlines and brought the issue of racial bias and violence against disabled people into the fore.
A public records request from RISE NEWS found that the North Miami police department does not have any “specific policies” in terms of how its officers interact with people with disabilities, including autism.
Read the full letter sent to the North Miami PD from the DOJ
RISE NEWS is a grassroots journalism news organization that is working to change the way young people become informed and engaged in the world. You can write for us.
Cover Photo Credit: Rich Robinson/ RISE NEWSPost Views: 25
What Do You Think?
This article was originally published on agconservative.wordpress.com and is republished below with permission from the author.
When I first got on Twitter, I was a big fan of conservative Talk Radio. I knew several people who became huge advocates for conservatism only after listening to Rush Limbaugh.
I doubt there were many converts from Hannity or Levin (despite L & T being one of my favorite books), but I assumed it was always a good thing to have people with large audiences promoting conservatism.
However, over time, I started to notice a theme: These hosts were often more dedicated to promoting outrage than conservatism.
Sometimes the outrage was justified and helped bring about necessary action, but it was the other times that started to bother me. Most importantly, it seemed the more victories conservatives won, the more these hosts preached despair.
The Republican Party was adopting conservatism to a greater extent than ever before, but these hosts constantly tried to make it seem like things were worse than ever.
Most importantly, they would create the impression that we were always losing by latching on to misinformation and spin.
I would see the same pattern play out constantly. Random blogger misinterprets something or reports a rumor that makes R’s look bad, radio hosts seizes on it and promotes it as proof of Republican betrayal, rumor turns our false or exaggerated, host moves on to the next cycle.
Even the liberal media, which these hosts would often attack as dishonest, would issue corrections, but these hosts seemed to have no interest in the truth.
At this point, I still believed these shows were a net positive, but I also recognized that these hosts were making millions from stoking unnecessary outrage.
This is when I personally gave up listening. These hosts were abusing the trust their audiences placed in them and treating their audience like they are dumb.
Before I go on, let me give a few examples of this phenomenon:
1) After the Boston bombing, Glenn Beck spent months accusing an innocent Saudi kid of being responsible and the Obama admin of covering it up. He based this on an early report about the kid being at the scene.
Every time Beck would provide some new bombshell piece of evidence to prove his theory, I would debunk it with some basic research.
However, every time I would post such a debunking, Beck fans would viciously attack me for questioning him. They weren’t interested in the truth.
As far as I know, Beck never apologized for this accusations. He simply moved on to the next story.
2) One example relevant to today is the “Gang of Eight” immigration bill. I wanted immigration reform, but was wary about this bill given what had happened under Reagan.
I ended up being one of the few people who actually read the whole bill, which made it easy to recognize when someone was saying something false.
There was a period of several months where on almost a daily basis some blogger would misinterpret something or some rumor would come out about the bill, Drudge would promote it, talk radio would seize on it and tell their audience to get outraged, it would be debunked in the days that followed, talk radio would move on to the next controversy without correcting, and their listeners would repeat the debunked rumor for months.
I found this particularly frustrating because there were plenty of real issues with the bill. I ended up opposing it, even though it wasn’t nearly as bad as it is currently perceived among most conservatives. It probably was the best we could have done with a Dem Senate and a Dem President, but I figured we would be better off waiting for a Republican to be in the WH.
There are hundreds more examples of this pattern. It has become fairly common. I still see it all the time. Breitbart, for example, has several reporters that consistently and purposefully print false things about Marco Rubio. Talk radio spreads them without even attempting to confirm.
It bothers me to see fellow conservatives who rely on and trust these sources being deceived in this way.
I was silent about all this, but these last 4-6 months were the final line for me and many other informed conservatives.
Talk radio actively started defending and advocating for someone that is the antithesis of everything conservatism stands for, Donald Trump.
It was one thing for these hosts to hinder conservative wins by saying they weren’t good enough, but now they were promoting the exact opposite of conservatism.
Trump is a con man. His con is aimed at a lot of different group, but the only way he could win conservatives is with assistance from people conservatives actually trust. These hosts chose to give it.
The two biggest issues for conservatives over the last few years were healthcare and the debt.
While these hosts attacked Republicans for not being aggressive enough on fighting Obamacare, they stay silent as Trump promotes single-payer.
While these hosts attacked Republicans for not fighting hard enough to limit Obama’s deficit spending, they stay silent as Trump opposes and demagogues entitlement reform.
These hosts were willing to completely abandon conservatism, and dragged their audiences with them. For me, that was the final straw.
I was silent about their previous dishonesty, but I won’t be as they make a mockery out of the beliefs they claim to represent.
It may not matter what I think, but conservatives shouldn’t be prone to group think. They shouldn’t define conservatism by what Rush, Levin, or Hannity say. Especially when those hosts keep saying things that are dishonest.
It’s time people who care about conservatism actually took a stand against the frauds in our midst. I know I am doing my part, and I hope you will too.
Read the original post on agconservative.wordpress.com
Cover Photo Credit: Gage Skidmore/ Flickr (CC By 2.0)Post Views: 33
What Do You Think?